Found this in a recent Simple & Delicious magazine. It is the first thing I've cooked in a long time that Alton would actually taste (this is the kid who will only eat mac n cheese, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or nothing-if the alternative is eating what I prepared- for dinner). Then, believe it or not, he actually liked it! It's a miracle! So, this recipe's a keeper. Oh yeah, it was really easy to make, too. And very tasty.
10 oz. uncooked egg noodles
1-1/2 pounds ground beef (or turkey)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 jar (14 oz) pizza sauce
1 can (4 oz) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup (4 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1 package (3-1/2 oz) sliced pepperoni
*Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
*Add pizza sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Drain noodles.
*In a greased 9 x 13 baking dish, layer half of the noodles, beef mixture, cheeses and pepperoni. Repeat layers. Cover and bake @ 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
**Variations: There are people in my house who don't like mushrooms or peppers, so I left those out. =( I used a mixture of ground beef, ground turkey, and some canadian bacon (because I happened to have some in my fridge). I also used turkey pepperoni and whole wheat egg noodles (with no yolks) to make it a little more healthful. It was so good!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment