Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tomalito

In January my sister and I visited a restaurant in Florida that served this stuff. I had never heard of it before, but my sister raved so I had to try it! It was so good that I wouldn't have cared if I ate anything else for lunch that day (although, of course, I ate many other things). She asked one of the waitresses about the recipe and was told that it was a very involved recipe that took a long time. So, we were discouraged.

The good news is that on Cinco de Mayo a friend, Jessica, brought this as a side dish to our potluck dinner. She explained that she found a microwave version of this recipe that is quite simple. We love Jessica!


Ingredients:

5 T margarine (don’t substitute butter)

¼ cup masa harina (corn flour)

1/3 cup sugar

½ cup water…I add just a touch more

2 cup thawed frozen corn (measure after it is thawed)

½ cup cornmeal

1 t baking powder

½ t salt

3 T milk (actually just under 3 T)

Directions:

  1. Mix margarine, masa and sugar until fluffy.
  2. Blend 1 cup corn with water until smooth, add the rest of the corn and blend slightly.
  3. Mix cornmeal and milk and let sit a few minutes.
  4. Add all to the margarine, masa and sugar mix. Blend well.
  5. Put in an 8x8 covered dish and microwave for 7 minutes at 30% power and then 4 minutes at full power. Fluff before serving.

No comments: