Monday, March 10, 2008

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

A few years ago I asked my Mom for her mac 'n cheese recipe (it is what I always requested for my birthday dinner and what I still ask for whenever I go for a visit). Well, anyway, you know how that goes. She said "well, I don't have a recipe, I just sort of throw things in until it looks right." I tried a few times to get it right, but never could. Finally I came across this recipe on the back of a pasta box. It's not quite like Mom's, but it works for me.

2 Tbsp. corn starch
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2-1/2 cups milk (skim is fine)
2 Tbsp. margarine or butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz elbow macaroni noodles, cooked 7 minutes and drained

*Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In med. saucepan combine first three ingredients; stir in milk. Add margarine, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium high heat; boil one minute. Remove from heat. Stir in 1-3/4 cups cheese until melted. Add noodles. Pour into a greased 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with reserved cheese. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes.

**Variation: Before baking, stir in some cubed kielbasa or ham. I usually double this recipe and freeze the second casserole.

No comments: